Tourism Hospitality Emergency Recovery (THER) Community Hub and Workers’ Registry. This program is being run by the Ontario Tourism Education Corporation (OTEC). As part of this program, you will need to complete a Registration Form in order to enroll in the Community Hub and Registry and be invited to participate in online Feedback Surveys to help with understanding which types of supports are needed most by workers in the tourism and hospitality sector based on their current employment status and demographic information such as age group and location provided in the Registration Form. Approximately 1,000 participants are being invited to participate in this study. Who is running this study?
What is the purpose of this study?
- The Future Skills Centre (FSC) is funding the Tourism Hospitality Emergency Recovery (THER) Workers’ Registry. FSC is a research centre that is testing new programs across Canada to help Canadians gain skills for a changing economy.
- FSC is funded by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), which is part of the Government of Canada.
- Researchers from the Ontario Tourism Education Corporation (OTEC) are leading this study, which is a non-profit organization guiding workforce strategy and evidence-based investment for the tourism and hospitality sector.
How long will it take to complete the Registration Form and future Feedback Surveys?
- To conduct research in order to understand what type of supports workers in the sector are currently most interested in receiving information about to help them achieve different employment and education outcomes.
- To help Canadian workers adjust to changes in the workforce sector by tailoring offerings to meet respondent’s feedback based on their current employment status and demographic information such as age group and location provided in the Registration Form.
How will I be asked to participate in this study?
- It should not take more than 5 minutes and 2 minutes respectively.
To enroll in the THER Community Hub and Workers’ Registry, you will need to complete a Registration Form. After you are enrolled in the Registry, researchers from OTEC may invite you to complete online Feedback Surveys. The overall study will last until April 2022.
Participating in this Registry through completing the Registration Form or completing the online Feedback Surveys are voluntary, and you can leave the study at any time. If you choose to leave the study, you also have the right to remove your data from the study. If you choose to withdraw, please contact Dr. Jane Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will also give you information about any limitations on the feasibility of removing your data.
Participating in the Registry will not affect your participation in any other programs or services in any way. Participating in the online Feedback Surveys will not affect your participation in the Registry in any way. If you decide not to participate in the Registry or complete the surveys, this will not result in any negative feedback or penalty from OTEC, or from FSC or any of its partners. What are the possible benefits and risks?
This study will be a chance to make your voice heard. The information you share will help us understand the needs of jobseekers and displaced workers in the Tourism and Hospitality industry according to their current employment status and demographic information such as age group and location. You will also help us understand the best ways to prepare other Canadians like you for future changes in the economy. This will help OTEC, the Future Skills Centre, governments, employers, and service delivery organizations learn more about how they can help workers across Canada.
We do not believe that you will experience any significant risks to your wellbeing by participating in this study. What information will be collected about me?
In the Registration Form, you will be asked about your demographic information, affiliation to any equity-seeking groups, employment status and interest in sector-specific training opportunities. The Registration Form will also collect your feedback on interest in specific employment support resources and skills training. The feedback surveys will ask you questions about what type of supports you are currently most interested in receiving information about. How will you use my information?
Researchers from OTEC will only use the information you provide to conduct research to understand what type of supports workers in the sector are currently most interested in receiving information about to help them achieve different employment and education outcomes based on demographic information provided in the Registration Form. Who will you share my information with?
To support other research projects, OTEC may send a copy of the information collected during this study to researchers at the Future Skills Centre, but it will not contain any identifying information. This data set will include participant information to be shared with FSC. This data would be used for research purposes only, and no information that could be used to identify you would be shared. How will you protect my personal information?
Researchers from OTEC are deeply committed to protecting your privacy and to securely storing your personal data. Any information you provide is confidential. OTEC will securely store your personal information, program information, and responses to surveys. Any paper records will be stored in a locked cabinet. Electronic notes from this study, online surveys, and administrative data will be stored on a secure server at OTEC. Only OTEC staff who need to use this information to do research will be able to access the information.
All information, whether electronic or hard copy, will be stored at OTEC for as long as OTEC exists.
Despite all the efforts to protect privacy, this cannot be 100% guaranteed due to legal requirements as well as a small possibility of accidental privacy breach. Are there any limits to confidentiality?
Please note that if the researchers from OTEC think that you are at risk to your safety or the safety of others, then steps will be taken to help ensure your safety or the safety of others which may include dissolving privacy and contacting appropriate social or medical assistance.
The unintentional release of your information could happen by accident. This risk is small, however, as the OTEC research team has many security procedures to prevent that from happening. How will the study results be reported on?
OTEC will not include your name or any other personal information in reports about this study. We will also never include any information in a report that could be used to identify you indirectly. Results and reports will only contain information that has been combined with data from other participants.
Reports about this study will be shared with the Future Skills Centre and the public. We will only report on information about this research for the purposes of supporting Tourism and Hospitality workers. Will I be paid for taking part in the study?
If you complete the Feedback Surveys, you’ll be entered into a draw for a chance to win a $200 VISA gift card. Who can I contact for more information or to withdraw from the study?
Please contact Dr. Jane Rowan at email@example.com you have any questions about the study, including the scientific and scholarly aspects of the study; concerns about the use of your information; or if you would like to withdraw from this study. You also have the right to receive a copy of this Informed Consent document. Institutional Review Board
An Institutional Review Board (IRB), Veritas IRB, has reviewed this study. An IRB is a group of scientific and non-scientific individuals who perform the initial and ongoing ethical review of the study with your rights and welfare in mind.
If you have any questions about your rights as a research participant, call the Manager of Veritas IRB 24 hours per day and 7 days per week at 514-337-0442 or toll-free at 1-866-384-4221. If you have any study-related comments, complaints or concerns, please call the IRB if you need to speak to a person independent from the THER Workers’ Registry and the OTEC research team. Consent agreement
- I acknowledge that I have reviewed and understood the information above, and that I am aware of who to contact (listed above) in order to obtain more information or to end my participation in the study.
- I understand that my participation in this study, including providing my consent, is voluntary and that I may withdraw my consent at any time. My decision to participate or not participate in the THER Workers’ Registry will not affect my participation in any other programs or services. My decision to participate or not participate in the online Feedback Surveys will not affect my participation in the Registry. The answers I give in the Registration Form and surveys will not affect my enrollment in the Registry or any other programs or services I receive.
- I understand what and how information will be collected from me, and how my information will be used, shared or reported for research purposes.